Friday, April 24, 2015

Birthday Love


Can I just say that my 43rd birthday was super special?  I really dislike birthdays now.  Being old is absolutely for the birds.However, I had a great birthday week.  And, yes, my birthday was all the way back in February.  But, I am so far behind in capturing my thoughts.  At my age, I had better capture them now, or it will be too late.

See, the details are already fuzzy.  I remember enjoying time with my parents on Monday, the 9th during Jonathan's Winter Band Concert.  On Tuesday, Fred and I went out to eat at Red Lobster (where I am sure his plan was to count that celebration as a two-fer -- you know Birthday and Valentines celebration).  

Wednesday, the 11th was my actual birthday.  I think someone in my family must have requested Cane's or maybe I said that I would rather have it than Fred's all-time favorite Golden Chick!  If you didn't know, Fred knows everything about fast food chicken.  And, by everything, I mean everything.  His favorites are Golden Chick and Popeyes which happen to be my least favorite.  My favorites are Chick-fil-a and Cane's.  Fred can handle Cane's thanks to the Cane's sauce and the lemonade, but he believes there is nothing special about Chick-fil-a (blasphemy).  So, we are a house divided.  

Anyway, I arrived at my home with a bag full of  Cane's shortly before it was time to leave for mutual (Wednesday night church for our youth).  As I entered, I kid you not, I heard a large dog barking.  Fred met me at the back door and saw the concerned look on my face when I asked whose dog was in our house.  For real people, Fred looked at me and says, "It's Tony."  First there was panic because I knew that my house was a disaster and then confusion as I rounded the corner and saw Tony Palmer on all fours barking like a dog.  Yes, he was playing with our dog and felt the need to bark at her like he was some sort of Rottweiler.  After I got over the initial shock, our friends, Kelly and Tony, had brought over a sweet smelling gift of Bath and Body Works that was yummy.  Not only that, the bag was complete with a balloon (I never think to add a balloon to my gifts).  It was super sweet!  I wish I had taken a picture of it before I took it apart.

The celebration continued on the following Tuesday.  How many days can an old lady celebrate her birthday?  My sweet friend, Ruth, took me out for lunch.  We sat and talked and talked.  I remember glancing at my watch, but I didn't want to be rude so I just glanced at it.  Well, I didn't glance hard enough because I thought I still had plenty of time to pick Jonathan up for his doctor's appointment.  We talked so long that I had to drive like a maniac to Jonathan's school to get him picked up.  But, it was so very worth it to spend time in the middle of the day with a precious friend.  And, how well she knows me.  She gave me a gift card so that I could go pick out a Vera Bradley purse.  Oh, mercy me!  I love Vera Bradley and I love the sweet lady that gave me the purse.   

I am so thankful for the amazing people in my life.  Not only did they make me feel special on my birthday, but they continue to make me feel special and loved all year long. I am not sure what I did to deserve these people in my life, but I'm not complaining!

No comments: