Sunday, February 10, 2013

My Favorite Things: Sparkly Green Earrings

The View From My Kindle

I wanted to do something special on my blog for Valentines Day.  You have already read about everything that is important to me during November.  I won't bore you with that again in February.  I decided to do a "My Favorite Things" like Oprah.  Only, I'm not giving out sweet gifts; I'm just going to spend the week of Valentines (and my birthday, by the way) telling you about all of my favorite things.

I am going to start with a new book I'm reading.  I just started this book yesterday and Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle is sure to be one of my new favorites. Oh my, I love this woman.  Apparently, she has a very popular blog and has now published her memoir.  Her blog and book both seem to be much different than Stephenie Nielson's that I love so much.  I really stumbled upon her and I'm so glad that I did!

Melanie Shankle's blog is called Big Mama and her blog and book are both deeply rooted in her faith, but she isn't a "Mormon Mommy Blogger"... I'm not sure exactly what her religion is.  She is a fellow Texan (she lives in San Antonio) and boy is she funny!  I just started reading her book, and I can't get enough of her and her side kick/best friend, Gulley!  They are like the modern day Texan versions of Lucy and Ethel trying to tackle being a wife and mother.

I haven't started reading her blog, but you can bet I will!  I think I aspire to be Big Mama.  I wish I could write in an inspirational yet witty style.  She is oh so funny. 

So, if you get a chance, pick up or download a copy of Sparkly Green Earrings.  You won't be sorry! (Too bad I'm not getting paid for this endorsement!) 

No comments: