Sunday, September 16, 2012

Prepare Yourselves

Jessica and Lainey
 
Apply thine heart unto instruction,
and thine ears to the words of the knowledge.
Proverbs 23:12
 
I don't care what you plan to do as your life's vocation, but prepare yourselves.  Get the best education you can.  Qualify yourselves in the best way you know how.  It's part of a mandate from the Lord that you train yourselves.
-Gordon B. Hinckley

I read this quote from a couple of days ago and it reminded me of Jessica.  She has started thinking of her future and what she wants to do.  She is really interested in working with preschool/elementary age children.  She talked to her teacher to see what she could work out at school, so that she could get some experience working with kids.  Due to my work schedule, she has to stay in the afterschool program and has been exposed to many different learning difficulties and special needs.  As a result, she has become very interested in working with kids with special needs.

I received an email from Jessica's teacher, Mr. Nathan.  He was letting me know that they were going to pull Jess a couple days a week to work with the small reading groups in 3rd and 4th grade.  If I understand it correctly, most of these kids have dyslexia.  The letter read, "The staff is excited to have some help and Jessica seems jazzed to build her resume and aide where she can work with the little ones.  I see a teacher in her and think getting started now will help her transition into the education field in college."

The next day I checked Jessica's folder, and there was a note on her point sheet.  It read, "Jess helped Mrs. Monique this morning and really liked it.  Monique said she was amazing and can't wait to have her help again."

I am so excited that Jess is getting the opportunity to work with the younger kids at school.  I think this is a wonderful opportunity for her and I am so proud of her!

No comments: