Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wicked


 One of the highlights of my trip was going to see Wicked on Broadway. I went with my co-workers Elena and Cody along with Cody's wife, Rachel. We were so fortunate to have amazing seats. 

Of course, they didn't let you take pictures during the play.  However, I took pictures of the stage beforehand.  You know, just so I could document the experience.  The theatre seemed smaller than I imagined it would be.  Maybe that was because we had floor seats.  Perhaps, if I was sitting in the balcony then it would have seemed larger.
The play was phenomenal!  I was so worried, because I was the one who suggested Wicked.   Cody and Rachel don't really like musicals, so they weren't sure which play to pick, and Elena is Italian.  After some research, Cody and Rachel decided that Wicked  would be okay.  I was worried that the play might not make sense to someone whose first language is Italian, but she said that she understood most everything.  And, much to my relief, the non-musical liking couple enjoyed it as well!  I loved the storyline and the acting was superb.  I don't know how I will ever be able to watch another show again, because I will never again have seats this great!
The funniest story of the night came at the beginning of the show.  My co-worker, Cody loves to eat.  He is a healthy eater, though.  We were on a tight schedule.  We got back to our hotel a few minutes after 6:00 p.m.  We took a few minutes to change clothes and met up at 6:15 p.m.  Then we had to walk several blocks to the theatre.  Our show started at 7:00 p.m.  Cody could not wait until after the show for dinner.  He stopped at a deli for a quick sandwich and Greek yogurt.  He didn't have time to eat his yogurt, so he had Elena put it in her purse and sneak it into the theatre.  The very second that the lights went down he started asking for Elena to pass his yogurt down to him.  For some reason, I think that we are the first people in the history of Broadway to sneak YOGURT in to the theatre. 
After the show, we went to a restaurant in the theatre district.  Several actors had also come in after The Lion King.  We understand that Diane Lane was there, but we didn't get to see her.  There was an actor from The O.C. that we saw and we also got to see Josh Brolin and another lady whose name escapes me right now.  It was very exciting.  The host at the restaurant was letting us know who was exiting the restaurant, so that we could be on the lookout.  We didn't bother them, because we felt like they were on their own time and shouldn't be hassled.  However, Cody and Rachel did manage to snap a few discreet pictures with their iPhones. 

I loved the experience of seeing a Broadway show.  I loved Wicked.  I loved hanging out and seeing a few famous people.  It was a great night!

No comments: