Saturday, April 16, 2011

She Works Hard For The Money

Our trade show in New York, Vision Expo East, is a very big deal for our company.  I had never attended the show.  I don't think anyone ever thought that I had the skills necessary to really have very much to do with the show.  I have always wanted to be a part of the show, so that I could prove that I am very capable.  Now that changes have been made in the Marketing department, not only did I get to attend this year, but I got to coordinate the entire show.  The months and weeks leading up to the show were quite stressful.  How can someone be expected to coordinate an entire show that they have never even attended?  Trying to decide how certain things should be laid out, what we should ship to the booth and other logistics was so difficult.  Somehow it all turned out okay. 
I learned so much from this trip.  I now have experience coordinating a trade show booth, and I was able to meet with many of our customers. 
Now that I am the Marketing Manager, I am working with all of our licensors.  I was able to meet with most all of them while I was in New York.  We work with the designer, Kay Unger (see the picture taken in our booth).  Our meeting with her was so crazy.  Several of us went to her showroom for the meeting.  It was an older building.  It had one of those elevators where the man shuts the gate and takes you up.  We sat in her showroom waiting for her, and then we realized that she wasn't in the office.  Turns out she got mixed up on the days.  So, we ended up taking a cab to her "fabulous" apartment in Soho!  I call her apartment fabulous, because that is how Kay kept referring to it.  It really was fabulous, though!  It was a fun and crazy adventure on my first full day in New York! 

My trip to New York was great for me professionally, and I am so thankful that I was finally asked to attend!  I hope that I have many more opportunities.

No comments: