Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fun With the Young Women

I have learned that Young Women's definitely keeps the creative juices flowing.  The girls are so fun, and easy to work with.  We try to come up with fun and rewarding projects for them, but I think they would have blast no matter what the activity is.  That is just the kind of girls we have.
A couple of weeks ago, I was in charge of an activity for the Beehives in the 1st, 5th and 7th Wards.  I decided that we would make journals.  I was really on the fence with this activity.  I was feeling like it might be lame, but I just felt really strongly that it was the activity that we were meant to do.  Every time I turned around  there was an article on journaling whether it was in the New Era or in O magazine.  It was everywhere!  I gave the girls a short lesson on why journaling is important and then we made these super fun journals.  The girls actually had a really good time creating their own journals.  We talked about all the different types of journals that they can keep.  So, perhaps, some of the girls might keep a travel journal this summer to keep track of the their vacations.
As luck would have it, just a couple of days after my big Beehive activity, I gave the Fast Sunday lesson.  The lesson was on good health habits.  I made "treat bags" for all of the girls.  Each bag had a quote from the Strength of Youth pamphlet and contained a water bottle and an orange.  I'm not sure if the lesson was a success or not.  It felt very rushed and I had to condense my lesson down to 25 or 30 minutes, because we had so many announcements.  Because it was shortened, I think it might have come across as choppy.  Although, I do think they enjoyed the topic, though.
Last week, the girls dyed Easter eggs.  Every time we had a planning meeting, we would discuss upcoming activities and dying eggs would come up.  So, we planned the activity.  I brought a game, because I thought that surely we wouldn't be able to spend an entire hour and forty-five minutes dying Easter eggs.  Sure enough at about the forty-five minute mark, I could tell that we were losing them.  Many of them took a bathroom break.  When they returned, I planned for us to finish any eggs, and clean the kitchen.  Wouldn't you know it, they somehow caught their second wind and ended up dying eggs for the entire time!  Sometimes it is the simplest and least expensive activities that make them happy!
While we were acting crazy with our Easter eggs, Jessie and the rest of the Mia Maids were decorating cakes.  Each Mia Maid got to decorate their own cake.  Jess was so excited that she got to bring home the cake that she decorated.  I think she did an excellent job.  I think we would have all loved to have been in the cake decorating class!

I have loved serving in the Young Women's these last few months.  Even though Jess isn't in my group, I think that we both have learned so much.  These girls inspire me and make me want to be a better woman!  I love each every one of them so much!

No comments: