Monday, August 9, 2010

Trip Down Memory Lane

We are in Arkansas this week visiting Fred's family.  We (really it was me, but I like to say we) decided that we should tack on a few other visits as well.  The first stop was Malvern, Arkansas.  This is where I was born, and where my dad grew up.  I was amazed that I was able to easily navigate us to my Granny and Papa's old house. 

Once there, I unexpectedly welled up with tears.  There were other people's cars parked around the property.  There were other people's belongings packed tightly in the garage.  We drove up to the house early yesterday morning.  I was thankful, because I felt odd walking around in front of someone else's house. 

I was surprised at the emotion I felt.  I saw a light on in my Granny's kitchen.  I wondered who was cooking in her kitchen?  I even went so far as to wonder if she was cooking her favorite granddaughter (really, I was her only granddaughter) ham and macaroni and cheese for lunch with chocolate pie for dessert. 

I inhaled the fragrant scent of the pine trees, and wished that we could have gone back in time.  Just for one day.  Just so you know... this sentimental thing runs in my family.  It is genetically passed down to me by both of my parents (mostly my dad, though).


I love this house!


And, I love these trees.

Photography was difficult.  The morning sun was killing me, and my lens kept fogging over.  Plus, I was trying to be discreet, and I didn't want all of their belongings in my picture!  So, there were a few challenges.  All in all, it wasn't exactly the same as I remembered it, but I'm glad I dropped by!

No comments: