Saturday, January 23, 2010

Straight from Jonathan's Mouth



Who Needs Shampoo?
After a recent doctor's appointment, Jonathan and I had to make a trip to CVS.  While we were there, we made one worker laugh by having this conversation:

Me:  Jonathan, are you almost out of shampoo?
Jon:  Ummm, yeah, I ran out.
Me:  (In a surprised voice) When?
Jon:  Yesterday
Me:  What did you wash your hair with this morning?
Jon:  Well... nothing.
Me:  And, why didn't you let me know that you were running out of shampoo?
Jon:  I thought you just went into the bathroom and checked on those things.

I'm a Tween
Last week, I was taking Jonathan to school.  Jonathan began to talk to me in his really important, I'm trying to be a big man voice.

Jon:  Mommy, did you realize that I am now a tween?
Me:  Really?
Jon:  Yes.  When I turned 10 I became a tween.  Tween means that you are in between a child and a teenager.  Do you get it?  Tween comes from between?

Jonathan's Hair
Back story:  At Jonathan's birthday party, Aunt Angel told Jonathan that she really liked his hair that length.  For me, his hair was getting a little long and hard to work with.  I remember rolling my eyes, and giving Angela a sarcastic thanks.  I knew that comment was going to be replayed in our house.  Sure enough, I heard Fred and Jonathan having the following conversation:

Fred:  Mommy has visiting teaching tonight, so you and I are going down to get that mop on your head cut.
Jon:  (In an indignant tone) What??  Don't you remember what Aunt Angel said?  She said that my hair looks good at this length.

Scoring Points with Mommy
Me:  Hey Jonathan, I just got a call from Primary.  I'm going to substitute in your class again.
Jon:  Oh, yeah! Give me a high-five, Mommy!

Where is The Filter?
Jonathan has struggled off an on at his after-school program.  There are many reasons why it has been a rough road.  It is an extremely long day for him.  He is one of those kids that should have been blessed with a mom that could stay at home with him.  The program really isn't conducive to the needs of ADHD kids, and the teachers really don't "get" him.  Another reason could be, because Jonathan is missing that filter between his brain and his mouth.  He is painfully honest.

I picked him up yesterday, and I could tell he was frustrated.  Thankfully, he hadn't been in trouble.  However, Jonathan's friend had been unfairly punished, and he was not happy about that.  We had barely gotten around the corner.  We probably weren't out of earshot, though.

Jon:  (In anger)  I HATE this place.  It sucks eggs!
Me:  Let's talk about this in the car.  This isn't the place to discuss it.
Jon:  I can't help it!  This place sucks eggs!  It sucks eggs, I tell you!

Where do we learn phrases like "it sucks eggs?"

Catchy Blog Names
My maiden name is Forthman.  Fred and Jonathan had this conversation right in front of me.  All I'm going to say is... RUDE!

Jon:  It is a good thing that our last name isn't Forthman.
Me:  Really?  Why is that?
Jon:  Because, our blog name would be The Forthman Four.  That is just a silly name.
Fred:  Forthman Four is worse than Fortenberry Four?
Jon:  Well, if you ask me, both names are pretty dumb!
Fred:  Yeah, I know what you mean.

No comments: