Sunday, January 3, 2010

Me and My Steven


Once upon a time, I was a high school band geek.  Shocking, I know.  I'm sure you had me pegged as a popular, cheerleader type.  My friend, Steven, was also a band geek.  He was two years younger than me, but we bonded instantly.  This was an era before cell phones and texting.  Steven and I would spend hours on the phone.  Our parents would call home to give us instructions (like to start dinner or do the dishes), only to get a constant busy signal.  This was also before call waiting.  We watched soap operas together over the phone, and then discussed the "shocking" plot.  Seriously, I was naive, so it never occured to me that this was not normal "guy" behavior.

As I went to college, we stayed close.  Then we reunited at Univeristy of North Texas.  My junior and sentior year were his freshman and sophomore year.  We had lunch together each day, and still discussed the "shocking" plots of our favorite soaps.  Hanging with Steven my junior year, helped me get over the fact that I was missing Fred (he was an enormous 40 minutes away in Plano).  This time I was not so naive, and wasn't shocked when he ventured out of the closet.

After Fred and I got married, we would occasionally call or meet for dinner.  Then we both became busy with life, and lost touch.  I became obsessed with finding Steven.  I found a Steven Parker in Allen.  I called and left several crazy messages for the wrong Steven Parker.  I wonder what his wife thought?  I heard through my mom that he had moved to Colorado.  I still worried and wondered and hoped that I might see him again.

One day, through the mircale of Facebook, we reconnected.  It was great to hear that he was doing well.  But, the happiest day came a few weeks ago when Steven posted that he would be in town.  The emails started flying, and before we knew it, there was a get together planned.  I almost didn't go, because I didn't graduate the same year as the others.  In the end, I knew that if I didn't go I would regret it.  So, last Monday I ventured out to Plano to meet up with my old friend.  And, it was like time stood still.  We had so much fun visiting and reminiscing.  There was only one problem.  It seems that some of us girls had confided a few secrets to Steven regarding our future husbands.  Since so much time had lapsed, I guess Steven thought it would be okay to divulge our secrets! Embarrassing, to say the least.

It was a great night, and I enjoyed catching up with old friends.  And, Mike Pope, I forgive you for saying that I'm starting to look like my mother!  (Mom, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with looking like you.)

No comments: