Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Am I a Good Example?


Once upon a time, many years ago, I was teaching in Primary.  I was fairly new to the church, and really new to Primary.  We had worked so hard for our Primary Program.  I remember sitting on the stand helping all of the wiggly and excited children.  I was so focused on those children that I almost missed a very special moment.

The kids were singing, I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ.  I remember looking up to see one of the Mom's with tears in her eyes.  It was at that moment, I realized how powerful that song is coming from such sweet little voices.  Anytime I hear that song, I always think back to that moment.

So, fast forward to last night.  I went to bed with a horrible migraine.  One thing is for sure, if I go to bed with a migraine, I am most definitely going to wake up with an even worse one.  There was no surprise when I woke up at 2:30 a.m.  I swear someone was inside my head with a hammer just pounding away.   Crazy, I know.  But, it is true!   Somehow, through all that pounding, I thought about that moment during the Primary Program when I really listened and heard the worlds to that special song.

I remembered those little voices singing with such conviction:

I belong to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I know who I am, I know God's plan.
I will follow him in faith.
I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ.
I'll honor his name.
I'll do what is right; I will follow His light.
His truth I will proclaim.

Through the pounding in my head, I thought of my own children.  I thought of their testimonies, and their convictions.  I am a convert to this church.  Fred's parents were both converts, and married in the temple.  His family is now less active.  So much rests on my shoulders.  I am the example that they have to look to.  Let's face it, I'm human and can sometimes be a less than stellar example.  I am the one that has to ensure that we are going to church on Sundays.  That we are having family home evening, family scripture time, family prayer and personal prayer.  I am the one that has to make sure that they are learning all the doctrines necessary for them to grow and learn.  I am the one that has to teach them "what they must do to live with Him someday."  No pressure, really.

I thought of their future.  When they are adults will they have strong testimonies?  Will they be married in the temple?  Will they live righteously, and teach their children to live righteously?  When it is all said and done, will I look back and wonder if I did enough while they were young?  Was I a good example?

Hmmm.... I think that I need to look into some good migraine meds.  With thoughts like these, no wonder my head hurts all the time!

1 comment:

Eric and Amy said...

I have always admired you for your dedication to be at church each week with your kiddos. I can't imagine being in your shoes and how difficult it must feel at times. But what an amazing example you are to your children. Bravo! You ARE amazing!