Friday, March 27, 2009

Inspired

Typically, I drop both of the kids off at their respective schools each morning. This morning Jess was still getting ready when it was time to leave. Fred ended up taking Jonathan so he wouldn't be tardy. I waited on Jess and then took her to school. Normally, this frustrates me, because it means that I will end up getting into work a few minutes late.

Today, I just let it roll. First, she and I shared a prayer. Then, instead of fussing at her the entire drive about making me late, I actually took the time to enjoy being with my daughter. We talked about our weekend plans and we discussed taking part in wholesome activities with our family and friends. We also talked about church activities and how they invite the spirit to be with us. I know that she is aware of this principle, I just felt inspired to remind her. She even seemed grateful for the reminder.

We have a short drive to school - maybe 7 or 8 minutes, but even 8 minutes can be precious, if you let it. For the most part, our morning drop-off routine is enjoyable. However, I am telling them things like "Have a super-awesome day," "I love you" and "Make sure you get that homework assignment turned in." I rarely use those 8 minutes to teach. I hope to take advantage of many more teaching opportunities.

No comments: