Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Mentoring


We are in that busy time of year right now.  Last week was the busiest week of all.  Or maybe it was just a precursor to what was to come.  However, Jonathan had a band performance previewing their 2015 marching show and there was an Eagle Court of Honor for three Young Men at 6:00. Being the ambitious person that I am, I  decided to attend both events.  My parents held seats for me at Jonathan's performance and I went to the Court of Honor.  I called Fred to see if he wanted me to bring his Scout clothes to the church so he could just change there.  I could tell that he was frustrated and he told me that he wasn't going to make it.  Leaving work early on Thursday isn't something that he does often and he just wasn't able to make it happen.  Once he got on the tollway, the electronic sign was telling him that he was about an hour away from home.  We went to Plan B.  I told him that I would meet him at the field to watch Jonathan's performance and I would just attend the Court of Honor by myself.

I gave Cooper and Brendan each a hug beforehand and told them that I was proud of them and that it didn't look like Fred was going to make it.  I could tell that Brendan was disappointed.  Fred actually was able to slip in just a few minutes late wearing his Progressive Insurance shirt instead of his Scout shirt.  Each Eagle Scout was able to award someone a Mentor Pin.  Brendan saw that Fred squeaked in and awarded Fred his Mentor Pin and threw me under the bus for saying that Fred wasn't going to make it.

I think it was so very sweet that Brendan presented Fred with that pin.  I know that Fred worked very hard to help prepare Brendan to receive his Eagle.  However, I also know that Brendan also mentored Fred.  When Fred was first called as an 11 year old Scout Leader, Fred wasn't active in church at the time.  Brendan often invited Fred to church and cheered him on all along the way.  

So, in a sense, I think Brendan was a mentor to Fred, too.


No comments: