Monday, March 24, 2014

Steadfast and Immovable

This is my favorite 14 year old.  He is quirky, fun and a rule follower.

Jonathan loves sodas.  His favorites are Sprite and Fanta Orange.  Fred typically buys whatever the grocery store has on sale.  There was one week that he bought Sunkist.  Jonathan was so angry with his dad for buying Sunkist instead of Fanta, because Sunkist has caffeine.  I listened to his rant, but didn't really contribute much to the conversation.  Saturday, Jonathan was looking for a drink and found root beer.  I heard him ask if Barq's has caffeine.  The answer was yes.  Again, Jonathan was upset and disgusted that we had caffeine to drink.  Jessie and Fred drink a little caffeine and Jonathan and I do not.  I told Jonathan when he was little that caffeine was bad for you.  He listened and hasn't wavered from that course.  It's a shame that I didn't tell him that sugary sodas were bad for you.  I told him that it was ok for him to drink some of the Barq's.  He was dumbfounded.  We had a conversation that went something like this:

Jonathan (full of 14 year old attitude):  But, you said that caffeine is bad for you.
Me:  You are 14 now.  A little bit of caffeine isn't going to kill you.
Jonathan (again, full of 14 year old attitude) So what are you saying, a whole lot of caffeine will kill me?

Then, the kid huffed off without having any root beer.  I have to admire him for not giving in and having any caffeine.  When he was little, I must have really convinced him that caffeine was the root of all evil!

No comments: