Thursday, September 2, 2010

It's Raining in the Rain Forest

I have typed this post over and over.  I can't quite find an eloquent way to say what I feel.

I am so tired of change!  It seems to be swirling all around me.  I have come to hate the word restructuring.  It means that someone has lost their job.  It means that some one's family is in turmoil.  It means that there are people out looking for a job.  It means that next time it could be me.  We lost more people this week.  Good people.  My head understands the rationale, but my heart doesn't. 

You know, we don't have many men at my office that are over the age of 60.  But, let me tell you, I have a soft spot in my heart for every last one of them.   Maybe they remind me of my dad.  They certainly pick on me like my dad.  I love that they will say anything.  They really don't care about being politically correct.

One of my favorites, Harmon, found himself a participant of the restructuring.  Harmon is a southern gentlemen from Alabama.  You can't help, but love Harmon.  He always has a silly joke or a riddle.  A typical exchange would go like this:

Harmon:  Hey, did you know it's raining?
Me:  No.  It's not raining... is it?
Harmon:  Yep, it's raining in the rain forest.  It's always raining in the rain forest.

 For the last ten years, Harmon has been a part of my life at work. We've laughed... a lot.  When his wife died, we cried.  Harmon Ray, I am going to miss you! 

No comments: