Friday, February 19, 2010

Mistakes Happen

After reading the Book of Mormon, I was on a scripture high.  I decided to set a new goal for myself.  I would read the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearle of Great Price by the end of February.  To my amazement, I finished both works by February 18th.  This was some serious reading folks.  I was averaging at least 5 sections a day.  Usually it was more like 10 or sometimes even 15 sections a day.  When I finished on Thursday, I felt really, really good. 

When you are striving to do good things, we all know what happens next.  Oh yes, Satan steps in with his sneaky little self.  I remember waking up a little nervous this morning.  I thought it was because of all the deadlines that we had to meet.  I went to work feeling good, and trying to make my positive attitude last throughout the day.  By noon, it was clear that I had made a big mistake at work (at least it was big to me).  It was an honest mistake, though.  My duties are shifting, and I'm still learning.  I usually ask LOTS of questions, but we were running at a crazy pace.  I didn't stop and ask.  No, Satan wasn't responsible for my mistake.  Like I said, it was an honest one.  I let him influence my reaction to the mistake.  I allowed him to slip into my thoughts.  Within seconds, I had undone 18 days of reading and feeling the Spirit.  I spent the entire day beating myself up, and berating myself for being so stupid.  In hindsight, it was a complete waste of energy, and I really wasn't stupid.  If I make the same mistake twice, then we can call me stupid.  This time was a valuable learning experience. 

I sat down in my boss' office, and told her that it was my mistake.  Told her how I made the mistake.  She just said okay.  She let it go, but I didn't.  Jokingly, I asked her if she would please fire me, so that I could go home.  I was joking, but I don't think I would have been hurt if she had taken me up on it.  But, she didn't.  Her reply was "No.  Now go back to your desk.  You have work to do." 

I hate making mistakes.  However, they are a part of life.  It is how we deal with them that matter.  Clearly, I have some work to do in that area.

No comments: