Monday, October 5, 2009

Sabbath Day in the Ozarks


I had a wonderful time with the girls in Eureka Springs. Each morning, we all welcomed the rare opportunity to sleep in. On Sunday, I woke up at 7:00 a.m. I had a slight headache, so I grabbed some Excedrin and a bottle of water. While I nursed my headache, I pulled back the curtains on my window and marveled at the Ozarks Mountains and Beaver Lake.

The other girls slept while I took a shower and got dressed for the day. I had this wonderful opportunity to be lazy on the last morning away from my family. Yet, I felt so compelled to get moving. I showered, did my hair and make-up and packed for the day. As I came up the stairs and saw one of the other girls doing her Bible study, I was inspired.

I bundled up in my sweatshirt and sat out on the porch. There, in the beauty of the Ozarks, I gave a silent prayer to my Heavenly Father. I didn’t have my scriptures with me, but I had one of our church magazines. I pulled it out and read several articles with quotes from our wonderful and inspired church leaders. It had been weighing heavy on my mind and heart that I was missing general conference. However, I was so thankful that I could have my own worship service on the porch of a cabin in the Ozarks.

The Spirit filled my soul and I was edified as I read the words of Thomas S. Monson and looked out over the beautiful lake and mountains.

No comments: