Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Boy and His Dog


Jonathan read Where the Red Fern Grows for his book report that was due last week. As he worked on the project, it made me wonder about our own two dogs. Billy had two hunting dogs that were fitting of a young boy. Jonathan has two girly Shih-tzus that require brushing and fluffing. These girls are two princesses that won’t even think of touching wet grass or going outside in the cold weather.

Have I done Jonathan a disservice by choosing dogs that Jessie and I like? In hindsight, it really was selfish of me. I think that the book made Jonathan think about the situation, too. Afterwards, he asked me about getting a little boy dog. When he is in high school and our oldest dog has left us, I guess I will consider it.

My moment of guilt faded quickly. A few moments after our conversation, I saw Jonathan and little Mollie rolling around on the living room floor. They love each other… even if she is a fluffy/sissy dog and he is a stinky boy.

No comments: