Wednesday, November 11, 2015

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 11


I am thankful for my parents.

Today is my mom's birthday, so I saved this post for Day 11, so she could get a shout-out on her birthday.

One of my favorite things that my parents have taught me is how to go forward each day with an attitude of service.  I'm not saying that I'm especially good at it, but I certainly have two shining examples.

My brother and I have been so fortunate to have been on the receiving end of their service. I admire the way that my dad was always so good to serve my grandma and my aunt (on my mom's side).
When I was young, my dad's mother (my granny) was in a nursing home.  Every single time we went to visit her, my dad trimmed her nails for her and plucked the hair on her upper lip.  I remember thinking that was love!  It truly left a lasting impact on me.

As long as I can remember, my mom has been so great about serving her community.  She was PTA President, Room Mom and Girl Scout Leader.  For many, many years (dating back to my middle school days), she has coordinated a monthly luncheon for the seniors in the community.  In addition, she quilted with them one day a week and they even had a little band called the "Belles and Beaus." Now, she is a blanketeer for Project Linus and her quilting circle is very passionate about that cause.  Her list of service is endless and I know that my Grandma and Aunt Judy were on the receiving end of her service, too.  She took them shopping, to doctor's appointments and out to eat Mexican food.  I'm sure they were quite the trio as they hit their hot spots in Greenville.

I am so thankful for my Mom and Dad and all they do for my family and all of the people that they come in contact with each day.

Happy, happy birthday, Mom!  I hope you have the best day ever.

No comments: