Sunday, June 28, 2015

That Time I Found a Man in My Backyard


Freddy Fortenberry (he really goes by Fred, I just like to call him that) was gone for the better part of a week and a half.  He was gone Wed, the 17th - the afternoon of Saturday, the 20th.  Then he set his alarm for 3:00 a.m.on Monday and left again and came home yesterday around noon.  All that time was spent with the young men from our church.  By the way, I know that he set his alarm for 3:00 a.m., because he forgot to turn it off and it went off again at 3:00 a.m. on Tuesday morning.  I might have been a little frustrated!

Yesterday, I had the extreme honor and pleasure of attending the baptism of my sweet eight year old friend, Avery Yeates.  Her mom, Cara, was texting me checking to make sure that I was going to be there.  I assured her that there was no other place that I would be!  I was ready ahead of schedule and even told her I would make a Hobby Lobby run for her, but it was deemed unnecessary.  Thank goodness, because I walked out of my house and almost wet my pants.

It all started when I heard a weed eater in my front yard.  I thought to myself, "Gee, our neighbor sounds like he is really close to us."  Then I wondered if maybe the city was mowing our yard for us.  But, dismissed that idea because Jonathan had "mowed at" the front yard on Wednesday, but didn't weed eat and it was a little stripey (is that a word).  However, I didn't think we were breaking any city codes.  I had been out in my driveway and had left the garage door up and still hadn't noticed anything.  

I had my purse in my hand and my cute little gift for Avery and was running out the door when I saw my gate opened.  I thought to myself, "That sure is weird!"  Then, I heard the weed eater and saw the back of a man in my yard.  I put my stuff down and went to investigate.  I saw his back and prayed, "I sure hope that is is Tony Palmer, because I don't have a Plan B."  What exactly would I do?  Call 911 and tell them that there is a strange man in my backyard doing yard work? 

Needless to say, it really was our friend, Tony.  He must have known that our son Jonathan would have done no work or substandard work.  He came and did Fred's yard work for him so he would have less chores to come home to.


When Tony turned around and I realized that it really was him, I just wanted to cry!  Not counting all of the bazillion things that my parents have done for us, I think that is a top 3 nicest thing anyone has ever done for us.

Tony asked me last week if Fred needed any help getting ready for Scout Camp.  I told him that I would let him know.  Of course, Fred said that he didn't need any help, so Tony just helped him out anyway by making sure that he had less to do yesterday.  I seriously wanted to cry (or maybe I did) all the way to the baptism.  How thankful I am for good friends that care so much about us!  It makes me realize that I need to be a better friend.  I think I always have the best of intentions, but maybe I'm not always great with the follow through.

Our family is certainly blessed!


P.S. I am going to die a slow, ugly, painful death for posting this picture.  Jessie hates this picture because she had been in the pool and her hair was drying and she has my swimsuit cover-up on over her t-shirt over a swimsuit.  I don't know how she came to be so layered!  I personally think she looks cute and I think that it is a darling picture.    I looked and looked for a picture of Tony and came up empty-- other than one of him and Kelly kayaking and thought this one was safer.  I thought I found one of Tony and a dolphin at Sea World.  I was impressed that Tony got to touch a dolphin.  I was like, "Wow, I really don't remember a dolphin getting so close to him at the dolphin tank."  Then I zoomed in and saw the Sea World logo on the guy's shirt and realized that it wasn't even Tony.  That would have been incredibly embarrassing to have used that picture.  I guess I need to make it a goal to take more pictures!

No comments: