Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Earth Day Fun


I always have the best of intentions, but my execution sometimes stinks.  For this week's Family Home Evening, we celebrated Earth Day.  Of course, our weekend was so busy that we didn't properly plan for it.  That meant Jessica and I stopped by Lowes on the way home on Monday.  Jessie picked out three plants and some potting soil.  She had a big project that she was working on for school, so she didn't participate in the planting.

We got home and Jonathan set about planting.  He rummaged through our shed and found three rag-tag pots for the plants and we got them planted before it got dark.  See what I mean about execution?  It always seems that I plan these activities and then we are rushed to get them done.

It also happened to be the night before the STAAR exam for Jonathan, so a special dinner was on the menu.  We grilled hamburgers for the red meat eaters and tried our hand at black bean burgers for Jessie.  Apparently, if you leave the raw egg out of the mixture, it makes a scrumptious bean dip.  I wouldn't know, because beans are disgusting.  I got as far as making the patties and had to enlist Fred's help, because I couldn't bring myself to touch the stuff.   Beans are gross!


Jonathan was in charge of our Earth Day dessert... cup of dirt.  The worms were supposed to hang over the side of the cup, but Jonathan thought it was more realistic if they pointed straight up like they were coming out of the dirt. He was quite proud of his creation and saved the best one for himself.

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
-Native American Proverb

No comments: