Saturday, November 20, 2010

Life Lessons

We learned last Friday that my Aunt Judy's earthly trials are nearing their end.  We were initially told that it would be about a week.  My family is very close (especially the women), so for my kids it will be more than losing a Great-Aunt. 
I called Miss Jessica out to the living room first.  She didn't take the news very well at all.  There have been lots of tears.  Lots of sadness.  We've enlisted some professional help, and I think (or at least hope) that we are fortified enough to weather the storm when it hits.  It is going to be very hard.  Jessica has a very big heart, and she certainly loves all of her aunts very much. 
Jonathan, on the other hand, was frustrated and put out that I had inconvenienced him.  He wanted to know why I had interrupted his game.   I thought that was an odd response (to say the very least).  The next day, I went shopping and bought him some new clothes for the funeral.  I mentioned to him that he would need to make sure that his shirt was tucked in at the funeral (he often lets his shirt go untucked at church).  He asked my why I kept saying that she was going to die, when she might not really die.  I explained that her body was shutting down.  He just couldn't accept that as an answer.  He reasoned that there could be a miracle, or that she could get well, or that they could find the cure in the next day or so.  The subject really frustrated him.  I tried bringing it up the next day, but he cut me off immediately letting me know that we were not going to talk about the subject unless I could be positive. 

This is the part of life that you wish you could shield your kids from.  There is no easy way for them to learn the lesson of dying.  They both know that she will be going to a better place, but it doesn't ease the pain of losing someone. 

I am going to miss her sweet nature and beautiful spirit.  I'm going to miss her voice.  I hope I can always remember her cute little voice.  The way she said  "Thank Yee" or how she used to pronounce Jessie's name Jesk-ik-a.  I want to remember how I would visit Grandma, and she would grab my arm and we would walk next door to her apartment.  There was always something there she wanted to show me.  I love that I can go into her apartment and it looks like she has four grandkids instead of two.  She has pictures of my children all over her apartment. 

If we could all strive to be a little more like her, the world would be a beautiful place.

No comments: