Saturday, August 15, 2009

Uncle John's Namesake


I have always thought that names were very important. I felt very strongly about Jessie's name. I was adamant that her name should be Jessica Taylor. Jessica was for my paternal grandmother and Taylor was for my maternal grandmother. Fred consented. However, I made a deal. I picked the girl name and he picked the boy name. He just randomly chose the name Jonathan Andrew because he liked the way it sounded.

Over dinner, Jonathan's buddy asked how we came up with the kids' names. I explained the meaning behind Jessie's name. Then I delicately said that Jonathan wasn't named after anyone in particular. I then added that my grandfather's name was John Henry, so he is kind of named after him. (My grandfather went by Henry, so it feels odd to claim that Jonathan got his name from him.)

Then Jonathan let us know the REAL meaning behind his name. He said that he was named after his Uncle John. He then went on to explain that Uncle John isn't really his uncle. He told his buddy that Uncle John is actually a friend of his parents, but that is where he got is name from. I decided not to mention the fact that our sweet friend, Debi, didn't meet and marry Uncle John until after Jonathan was born. That is the story that Jonathan likes, so that is the story that I'm sticking with.

No comments: