Saturday, January 17, 2009

Tell Me the Stories of Jesus

We have a song in primary that says:

Tell me the stories of Jesus I love to hear,
Things I would ask him to tell me if he were here.
Scenes by the wayside, tales of the sea,
Stories of Jesus tell them to me.

It seems my calling in church has always been in Primary. I have taught in junior primary, the sunbeams (technically still jr primary, but completely different), nursery and senior primary. I have heard people softly complaining that primary or nursery isn't a very important calling. I disagree. We are working hand-in-hand with the parents to give these young people the foundation they need to gain their testimony.

After I was released as Nursery Leader, I was called into Senior Primary. I was nervous because I had never taught in Sr. Primary. It turned out to be a wonderful calling. I had been spent the last 2 years either working in nursery or teaching the sunbeams. It was nice to prepare a lesson on a much higher level and be able to read straight from the scriptures. They taught me just as much as I taught them. These kids had been well taught by their parents. I thought that Senior Primary would be my home for awhile. However, it turned out to only be a year long calling. Back in November, the primary president asked if I had any preferences on which class I taught (I thought she meant within Sr. Primary). I said, "oh no, you put me wherever you need me."

It turns out she needed me back in Junior Primary. I am teaching CTR 5A. This little group just graduated from Sunbeams and they are all starting out as 4 year olds. I have one that will have his birthday in January. The rest will be turning 5 later in the year. Preparing the lesson is different than preparing for my Valiant 9's. A craft is a definite necessity and then I have to be prepared to play a game - just in case we have time left over at the end.



Our primary president told me that she had really prayed about the teacher placement and which classes to place each child. I think she was truly inspired, because the Lord knew that I needed to be back with these young kids (even though I didn't know it). I love my older ones. The girls showered me with hugs and always fought to sit next to me. I even had one cry on our last day together. However, I just love being with these little ones. They are so precious to me. I am helping set the stage for their entire primary experience.
It doesn't matter if these kids are 2, 4 or 9, they all want to learn the stories of Jesus. They are very eager to learn. I just pray that I am able to magnify this very important calling.

No comments: