Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Family We Choose

I am sure Angela hates this picture, but it is one of my all time favorites!

Jonathan is my boy that has a hard time reading between the lines and understanding inferences.  A sweet friend gave me a little plaque for my birthday that says "Friends are family that we choose."  Obviously confused, Jonathan asked what that meant.  So, I asked him what he calls our friend, Angela Garstka.  He replied with Aunt Angel.  I then asked him if he she was really his aunt.  He summed it up perfectly with, "No, but I see her more than I see a lot of my own family."  I explained to him that while the Garstka's aren't technically our family. We "chose" for them to be our family.  He completely understood and I came away wishing every concept was so easy to explain to that child!

We are so blessed to have such wonderful family members - both the ones we that came to us by birth and the ones we chose.

P.S.
This is not our first post about Aunt Angel. Go here to read how much Jonathan loves his Aunt Angel!

No comments: