Monday, October 21, 2013

Miracle Whip Vs. Mayo

I grew up on Miracle Whip, but many years ago I compromised and switched to mayo.  I wanted family harmony and chose to switch to mayo, so that Fred would be happy, or so I thought. 

The other day we were at the grocery store and we went to grab a container of mayonnaise and Fred grumbled, “I really like Miracle Whip, but I know you prefer mayo.”  Confused, I let him know that I had been raised on Miracle Whip and had switched long before the kids had been born to make him happy.  Fred countered that he was the one raised on Miracle Whip and was the one that had switched to make ME happy.  We stood arguing in the grocery store about this miscommunication.  Probably what happened was that we grabbed mayo just one time for something different and then each of us got it all twisted in our head that the other preferred mayo. 

So, we looked at each other, and with great excitement, Fred bought a bottle Miracle Whip.  It was probably our first container of Miracle Whip in almost 19 years.  I don’t eat a lot of mayonnaise, so it wasn’t a huge deal to me – once I got used to the taste of mayo verses Miracle Whip. 

So, what do you think happened?  Jonathan came home that first day after school and said, “There was something wrong with my sandwich.  It didn’t taste right.  I think the mayonnaise was spoiled.”  With great sadness, Fred had to give up his beloved Miracle Whip and start buying mayo again. 

Who knew two people could have such poor communication skills?

No comments: