Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Little Miss Gracie


My sweet Gracie is 16 years old.  I took her to vet on Saturday and found out that she now weighs 6 pounds.  That is no good for a little Shihtzu that once weighed 12 pounds in her heftiest days.  It is so sad watching your family friend get old.  I always thought I would know when it was time to put her down.  Sadly, I don’t think I will.  Fred and Jessie keep telling me it is time.  Jonathan and I, we are in denial.  We believe her quality of life is ok.  We’ve changed her food and we’re trying medicine.  And, we’re cleaning up lots of accidents.  The saddest of all is holding her in my arms, because you can feel bones – lots and lots of bones. 

You know I love this dog, because I’ve switched her to canned dog food.  This food is expensive, but that is not where the love comes in.  I swore I would never feed one my animals canned food, because it is so disgusting.  It stinks… it makes my house stink… it makes them stink… worst of all, it makes Gracie’s poop stink (she has fecal incontinence).  I just go around spraying Febreze Apple and Spice room spray.

She has been eating better and that is what counts.  So, hopefully, little Miss Gracie can be happy for a little while longer.   

No comments: