Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Service-minded Family

I feel very fortunate that I come from a service-minded family.  My mom coordinates a luncheon once a month for the senior citizens in her small community.  I don't exactly know when she became involved, but I think was probably about 12 years old.  I am not going to do the math for you, but as you can imagine, that is a whole lot of years.

Mom recruited Fred to help Dad grill hamburgers.  Fred gets recruited to grill a lot at family get togethers.  When we are together with family, he is a master griller.  When he is with our family, he starts the grill and then forgets to put the meat on the grill, because he started watching TV.  Once he finally he gets the meat on the grill, we encounter more problems involving the TV.  With family get togethers, he does well because the TV usually isn't a factor.  Maybe I should unplug the TV while we are trying to prepare dinner?

It was a super rainy day.  Jonathan had the very important job of holding the umbrella for people as they came up.  Due to the weather, there wasn't a big turnout for the luncheon.  Therefore, Jonathan didn't have very many customers.  I decided to take a peak to see how he was doing.  I found him holding the umbrella over his head twirling around.  I guess he got bored.


For the most part, we had fun helping out.  There was only one snag... Jess and I forgot to pack her an alternate lunch.  She is a vegetarian and they were serving hamburgers.  She ate peanuts.  Other than that, we had lots of fun and appreciated the opportunity to serve.

No comments: