Friday, February 27, 2009

Ten Long Years


I am normally one that doesn’t get too excited about new cars (except when I was 20 and got a brand new Mustang). Actually, I secretly get annoyed when someone brags about a new car incessantly. Maybe it is my own jealously. Most of you know that I am really not into spending money. Fred and I have had the new car talk over and over for several years. I have continually put it off.

Fred has a Ford Escape through Progressive that he drives to and from work each day. For the last year and a half, I have driven the minivan. Only driving the car on the weekends. However, we have reached the point where I have to stay very close to home with the car. You know, just in case it breaks down and I have to walk home.

I had finally started coming around to the fact that we should replace the car. I thought something small with good gas mileage would be great to drive to and from work. The van would only be used to haul kids around and for weekend driving.

Fred is headed out today for a fishing weekend. He wasn’t comfortable with me driving the car to work and I wasn’t comfortable with him driving the car to some lake out in the middle of nowhere. So, we did our research and went down and bought a new car last Saturday. We traded in my 1998 Mitsubishi Galant (yes, you read that year correctly) for a 2009 Mitsubishi Galant. I think the salesperson was a little embarrassed when he came back with the trade-in amount. We only got $500 for the ’98 Galant! Fred thought that he could get more for salvage, but probably not much more. We just wanted the painful ordeal to end. I said goodbye and good riddance to my old car. I hope I never see it again!

No comments: