Saturday, March 9, 2013

Sisters?

Last Saturday, Jess and I went to get our nails done before the quinceanera.  While we were there, we chatted with the sweetest lady and her husband.  The lady was Jamaican (not central to the story - Jess and I just like to listen to her talk) and really seemed to take an interest in Jess.  Her sister is an occupational therapist and she told Jess all about it and thought it would be a good career fit for her.  They must have had quite the conversation while I was in getting my eyebrows waxed.  Anyway, Jess and I talked back and forth.  They type of talk that mothers and daughters talk about.  I gave Jess some trivial advice on not getting her upper lip done an hour before a big event.  I told her about a girl I new that did that and her lip was red.  We talked about Jess' dress and how well her green nails were going to look with her dress.  Jess asked me something and I answered back with what I'm pretty sure was motherly advice.  When it was Jess' turn to get her eyebrows waxed, she looked at me and asked if Jess was my sister.  I laughed and thanked her for the compliment.  She said, "No, you both seem so close."

Now, that was the biggest compliment ever!

I explained that it had been a long road, but we are very close now.  I chalk it up to the hours we spend in the car together commuting to and from school/work.  It also has to do with the trials that we've faced.  Now, that's not to say that when she is super-stressed that she doesn't fling all that stress my way.  For the most part, we've come through it.  It takes a pretty big anxiety attack to send her snapping at me.

I can't believe how far we've come in a year!

No comments: