Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Gifted, Lazy or Both?

I met with this crazy boy's teachers today.  They were all very complimentary.  As a mom, it is always nice to hear other adults say nice things about your precious offspring.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from his math teacher.  I knew we were dealing with things like not working up to his potential and not consistently getting homework turned in.  The teacher popped over and shook my hand.  He looked deep in my eyes so that I would clearly understand his words and said, "your son is gifted in math."  He told me that by the time he figured out what was going on it was too late to have him moved up to the higher level class.  I shook my head and explained that he had been in Pre-A/P Math last year.  I explained that we were all shocked to see his grades drop when we went down to the regular Math class.  He asked why we switched classes and I told him that it was Jonathan's choice.

He was very nice and very kind, but firm.  I felt like a super-bad mom.  You know, when you let your kid quit something too soon.  He informed me that if Jonathan were his kid he would not be in regular math.  Gee, thanks!  I'm the loser for letting Jonathan talk me into switching classes.  The reason for the lower grades?  He believes Jonathan has figured out that he can manage without doing all of his homework.  He is doing just enough to get by.  When he was in Pre-A/P Math, he actually had to work.  Fred, Jonathan and I talked about it and Jonathan pretty much confirmed this was the case.  While we were having the discussion, Fred popped off with "I did that, but I was actually able to do it and keep an A."  Somehow, I don't think Fred bragging about not doing his homework and figuring out how to keep an A was quite what was needed in this situation.  Can I figure out a way to screen his words before he says them?

No comments: