Monday, March 18, 2013

Hiking Fools


The Fortenberry's (minus Jessie) decided to be nature lovers for the weekend.  We arrived in Austin Friday afternoon around 2:00 or so.  Our GPS thought it would be hysterically funny to have us exit the freeway and run the service road in downtown Austin during a music festival!  We lost a few minutes, but jumped back on the freeway and landed at our destination in no time at all.  We hiked McKinney Falls State Park.  A beautiful state park that is right, smack in the middle of Austin.


You'll notice that Jonathan's sunglasses were off kilter in every picture.  I think his cap was pushing them up. That would have driven me crazy!  I didn't notice it until we were pretty far into our little adventure.


I strapped on all kinds of gear around my waist.  It made me look like I had a big belly roll.  I think this is a big fashion-don't!  Next time, maybe I will try a drawstring backpack.  


It was a beautiful day for hiking.  The sun was up and perfect.  The temp was in the high 70's - just right - not too hot and not too cool.


Jonathan loved sitting in front of the cactus (or is the correct word cacti) and acting like he was in immense pain.


There were some sections of the park that were prettier than others.  I think the not-so-pretty sections will be nicer once Spring sets in.  At the last minute, we decided to hike another little section.  It was only about a mile long.  It was completely worth it, because it was beautiful.


We discovered that Fred has long legs which make for a super-fast hiker.  Jonathan is a slow-poke hiker and I think I am a medium hiker.  I don't really know, because I tried to stay behind Jonathan most of the time.  


We had lots of fun!  I'm ready to go back.  I'm not sure if the boys are so ready, but I am!

No comments: