Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Case of the Mysterious Hives


Last Wednesday, while I was at work, I started breaking out in hives.  Man, I never realized how itchy hives are.  I went to the Minute Clinic at Walgreens and got myself some steroid cream and spent the evening in bed.

What I was feeling Wednesday was nothing compared to what was in store for me.  I woke up at 4:00 a.m. on Thursday very miserable.  I was nauseous and uncomfortable, so I thought that I would make a trip to the bathroom.  As I got up to start the bathroom, I was feeling super sick and could hardly stand up.  Everything seemed black around me.  My brain was too numb to ask for help.  So, I just kept shuffling to the bathroom.  The next thing I remember was feeling the hard floor.  Fred was a rock star.  He found me wedged between the wall and the toilet.  I would really rather not know that was where he found me.  He stood me up and helped me get back to bed.  After he got Jonathan to church at 6:00 a.m., we paid a little visit to the ER.  My eyes and mouth were a little swollen.  You can see in the picture above.  I was treated for the swelling and the hives all over my body with an epinephrine shot and a steroid.  I was sent on my merry way.  I was certainly relieved to be feeling better and thankful that I would be back at work the next day.

Thursday night, I went to bed feeling itchy and uncomfortable.  Once again, Friday morning at 4:00 a.m. I woke up miserable and nauseous.  I didn't pass out this time!  However, I could never post the pictures, because I was a mess.  I had hives all over my face and every part of it was swollen.  Once again, Fred took me to the ER at 6:00 a.m.  Again, I received a shot of epinephrine.  This time I received an IV with all sorts of goodness in it.  They gave me a stronger steroid and referred me to an Allergist.

Again, Saturday morning brought more swelling and I was so uncomfortable, but I am happy to report that by Saturday afternoon that the steroids had kicked in!  Thank goodness.  

I took my last steroid last night.  Now, we wait and see if I break out.  The doctor has me on four Zyrtec a day, which I haven't been brave enough to take.  I have an Epipen, if I need it. So, we're all geared up if it gets ugly again.  I'm going with positive thinking!  It was a crazy fluke and we'll just never know what happened!

In the meantime, I just sit around scratching and it makes me wonder.  Do I really itch or is it all in my head?

No comments: