Monday, July 14, 2014

Kayak Adventure

After we finished our Sea World fun, we spent Monday, July 7th on the San Marcos River.  We met my Auntie Jan, Uncle Joe and The Palmer's for a fun day of kayaking.

Uncle Joe and Fred

Jonathan is usually a very slow paddler.  He did a great job keeping up with everyone.  There was a stretch where Fred had to hang back with him.  Apparently, I bumped into him and that threw him off his game. Other than that, he was right in the middle of the pack or sometimes ahead of the pack.

Jessie - super kayaker

Jessie was a super star!  She recently kayaked at Girls Camp and canoed on her Senior trip.  You might remember that she didn't do very well a couple of years ago when she and I went tandem.  You can go here to read about our misfortune.  I was very proud of her hard work.  In the very beginning, she got caught in a tree for a second, but other than that she was amazing.

Conner, Corbin and Fred

I personally like to continually stroke and never slow down.  It was hard for me to stay with the pack.  It is a problem that Fred and I have when we kayak together.  I am thankful that I stayed with the group and didn't paddle ahead.  I could have ended up with my Auntie Jan and Uncle Joe.  They missed the take-out point.  Never one to fret, my Auntie Jan just kept paddling until the river ended. We sat at the rental place for over an hour waiting for them to show up.  They finally came riding up in the back of a blue pick-up.  Auntie Jan was waiving - kind of looking like a Redneck beauty queen in her swimsuit and hauling her kayaks.

Tony and Kelly

We did the seven mile trip.  Usually our family sticks with the  five mile, so we don't have haul the kayaks around so much.  The first two miles you are up and out of your kayak more than you are actually in the water.  However, it was fun to add the extra miles with so many people.  I forgot to change out of my flip flops, so I was having problems walking on the wet rocks most of the time.  I was so mad, because I had finally found the perfect water shoe.  I felt like I was useless when it came to hauling my kayak around, because I kept slipping in my shoes.

Uncle Joe, Auntie Jan and Fred

We stopped and played during the first part of our trip.  There were chutes that you could go down.  I lost my glasses (thankfully they floated down and Fred found them).  I was pretty freaked out and determined to stay where I was even though there was no other choice, but to continue down the chutes.  I remember smiling at the kind lady that helped me flag down my group, but I was freaking out on the inside.  This portion of the adventure should just get it its own post.  


Jessie

Despite my adventure on the chutes and losing my Aunt and Uncle on the river, we had a great time.  I would like for Fred to always remember that kayaking was my idea.  Several years ago, I was the one that insisted that we go kayaking and he thought it was a bad idea.  Now, it is Fred's favorite activity.  I was worried about having to paddle around the tubers, but there weren't so many this year.

Jonathan

We were thankful for sweet Corbin and Conner for constantly helping with our kayaks.  Every time I looked up Corbin was at my side helping me.  Jonathan thought Corbin was coolest guy ever.  Jonathan likes most people and can talk to anyone, but there are some people that he just really likes and that was Corbin. Jonathan sat next to Corbin and talked to him ALL weekend.  

I made Jessie, Jonathan, Corbin, Conner, Fred and Tony pose for a picture.  Actually I was making the kids pose and Fred and Tony photobombed the picture.  So, it looks like I left Kelly out.

Cute Kids!

We had a great time on the river and a great time with our fun friends!

Kelly

No comments: