Friday, November 25, 2011

The Tuba Man

Jonathan started playing the tuba this year in the 6th grade beginning band.  He has come a LONG way.  Those first few weeks were pretty miserable.  It kind of sounded like a sick elephant.  Practice time took a lot of patience for the rest of the family.

He recently had his first band concert.  We were excited to go hear him play "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" along with some of his practice scales.  The tubas performed with the euphoniums and trombones.  Those little tuba players were super cute when they walked on stage.  They had to balance their tuba stand and music binder along with their tuba.  One little boy lost his balance, and almost dropped his tuba.  He made a lot of noise, and it was hard for the audience not to giggle a little.

Jonathan was excited to tell me about some of the songs he was working on for an upcoming performance.  He said that he would be taking a field trip to "some beach" to play these songs.  Having been in band myself, I had a suspicion that his beach was really Sandy Lake Park.  When I asked him he thought that might be it.  I could see where he might get Sandy LAKE Park confused with a beach!

I am so glad that Jonathan is taking band this year.  I hope that he sticks with it, because I think there are so many wonderful skills that can be taken from the music program.

No comments: